Top Eleven Books Set Outside the United States

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created by The Broke and Bookish.

I had so much fun putting this post together, mostly because I didn't realize a lot of the books I read have travel in them. It's even more fun that I have visited many of these places on my own. It's amazing to look back on these books with that in mind. I also cheated and did 11 but something tells me y readers will forgive me!
1. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by JK Rowling - I know it's not explicitly clearly where Hogwarts School if Witchcraft and Wizardry is located, but JK Rowling has said it is in Scotland several times, the movie is filmed there, and it just seems right since Edinburgh Castle served as her inspiration for the castle. Having explored Scotland, I could see Hogwarts belonging there, so I'm rolling with it.
2. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - This is my ultimate favorite book ever. I love everything about it. Liesel and Max and Rudy and Mama and Papa and everyone. Set during the Nazi regime's rule in Germany, this book gives you a different look at a harrowing part of history.
 
3. 13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson - Ginny goes on an adventure following the instructions in 13 little blue envelopes. They lead her to London, England first, and then she finds herself traveling to Scotland as well with a mysterious boy. I read this book while I was at sleep-away camp for the very first time, and though I've lost my copy, I still have the fondest memories of this adventure! I really need to reread this old favorite and start the sequel.

4. Heist Society by Ally Carter - This book takes you to a ton of places, but the main heist in this book is to steal a valuable work of art from a London museum before the bad guys do. I ADORE this series, even more than The Gallagher Girls series, to be honest. I really hope Ally Carter writes more. Anyway, Kat is one of the best people to pull off a heist in the world despite the fact that she's still a teenager. Naturally, she does a lot of traveling to Europe with her crew, and I love every minute of it.

5. The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith - This is such a unique story! It takes place over a flight that eventually lands in London, England, where love may or may not blossom. It all depends on the statistical probability of love at first sight!

6. The BFG by Roald Dahl - I swear this book was on this list prior to the movie's release! haha But anyway, Sophie's orphanage is located in England and Giant Country is out in the middle of who knows where, but the real world is in lovely London, England. I loved this book growing up, and I still love this story to this day. Plus, I adored the movie so there's that, too.
7. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins - High school students at a French boarding school? Sign me up! I love me some Etienne St. Clare.
8. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Anna Brashares - Lena spends the summer in beautiful Santorini, Greece in this book. The pants truly get to travel the world in one of my favorite childhood favorites! This is one of the books responsible for giving me the travel bug, so it will always have a special place in my heart.
 
9. The Scorprio Races by Maggie Stiefvater - This may be cheating since Thisby is a made-up place, but with all the Welsh mythology in this book (and many of Stiefvater's other writings) it is obvious that the island stares onto mainland Wales. Or...at least to me, I think.
10. Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor - This book makes the streets of the capital of the Czech Republic come to life! I read this so long ago, and I never finished the series (so I must remedy that!), but I made sure to go to Prague on my recent jaunt through Europe because of the pictures this book painted in my mind. So. Well. Done.
11. The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer - This series goes everywhere...China, Africa, the surface of the Moon! You name it and this destination is explores. This is one of the reasons that I love this series so much. <3

~*~*~

I really loved putting together this list, so please don't hesitate to link your lists below so that I can check them out and add some material to my reading list! Have you read any of these? What did you think? Don't forget to your thoughts in the comments below!

1 comment:

  1. Eep!! Why did I think Harry was in London before Hogwarts? My brain is totally not working this morning!! Whoops! I had just commented on someone else's post who chose Harry and said it's a two for one deal there with London and the Wizarding World! Lol!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete