Lili's Travel Diary #4: Platform 9 3/4


Friday, January 15th of the year 2016 forever deserves its own post. Why? Because the Harry Potter nerd in me soared to new heights. Ever since Platform 9 3/4 was unveiled at King's Cross I knew I wanted to go, but was unsure if I ever would go. Plus, Warwick Davis who plays Professor Flitwick/Griphook in the movies owns the Harry Potter shop right next door, so even though I knew I wouldn't be buying anything because yikes tourist prices to the extreme, I knew I'd be walking in the steps of someone in a franchise that is very near and dear to my heart. (I also took note of a few things I may come back for before leaving London depending on what my bank account looks like at the time).

I hit up the platform with five other girls. Only one was as ridiculously excited as me, and the others were more like "we are here so we should do this!" type thing. One girl didn't take a picture with it, which was 100% crazy pants to me. WE ARE AT PLATFORM 9 3/4 QUARTERS! I know it's a tourist attraction, but how can your inner franchise fangirl not be screaming to be let out?

Oh, well. Her loss.

I noticed while we were at the platform that my small group kept repeating, "I can't believe we are doing this." To be honest, I was stoked. This has been on my bucket list because these books mean so much to me as a reader...I mean, they helped me pick my chosen profession after all! I wasn't ashamed of being a tourist, and it didn't seem like most of the people ahead of us or behind us in line were ashamed either.

To each their own, but this is my thing and I wasn't going to let their views on it damper my excitement.
A tribute to Alan Rickman (Professor Snape)

Part of the reason I decided to go to the platform that day was because Alan Rickman passed away the day before. I heard a rumor that a small tribute was building next to the platform, and I wanted to be part of it. Sure, I didn't know where to buy flowers, nor can I really afford them, but I stood there and admired him for a brief moment before the guards shooed me away. I know him predominantly as Professor Snape, who a lot of people don't like but I loved as a character because he was so complex. He brought him to life for me and I'll never forget him for that. Of course I've seen him in a million other movies, but that's the role that hit home for me, and that's why I was so affected when I found out about his passing.

I hear that the tribute is even larger as I write this post, but this is what it looked like around 4:30ish on Friday after I waited in line for a total of maybe 20 minutes. Now it has at least quadrupled in size.

Of course, I had to take a cute picture with the trolley at the actual platform. While I knew you got to pick your house color for the scarf, I didn't realize you also got to pick a wand if you so chose! I thought people had to bring the wands from home. Anyway, I decided to go with Gryffindor for classic purposes. The Gryffinclaw in me was battling with what to go as, but if I go back to purchase a souvenir I can always pay homage to the Ravenclaw in my that I predominantly identify as anyway.

They have very strict rules. Left leg up, left hand on the trolley, right hand with the wand, face the professional photographer and not your friends, on the count of 3 smile as I wave your scarf. It's pretty funny, and I have to say I like the picture. But they give everyone the option of doing a jump, too, and that's my ultimate fave and the most liked picture I have ever posted on Instagram. You people get me!

#Lilicannotjumpatall
Someone on Instagram commented saying that this is the best one of these they have seen so far, which is super flattering. I was beyond nervous it would come out blurry or something after waiting so long for it. There is a small blur near my back, but my scarf is flying, there's a smile on my face, my hair isn't terrible, my jump seems kind of graceful (what the hell?! I am not graceful at all) and my trolley is taking me through to the Hogwarts Express! You are looking at one very happy blogger.

I do not have a trip to Warner Brothers Studios booked just yet, but I cannot wait for the chance to go. This small dose of this fandom has made me giddy with excitement. London is about discovering myself and meeting new people, but it's also about indulging a fandom or two every now and then. ;)

2 comments:

  1. I WANT TO DO THIS ONE DAY. But seriously, it looks like so much fun! I'm glad you were able to do this early on in your London semester ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to do it again just because the girls I were with weren't as excited. I need to, like, replace the memory with excitement haha

      Delete