2015 End of the Year Book Survey

The 2015 End of the Year Book Survey is a fun survey hosted by Jamie of The Perpetual Page Turner.

2015 Reading Stats

1. Number of Books Read: 55! Just barely hit my goal.
2. Number of Re-Reads: 2 (Hamlet by William Shakespeare, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare)
3. Genre I Read the Most From: Fantasy! 26 books I read this year were fantasies.

Best in Books

1. Best book you read in 2015?
Backlist Release: Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan & Froi of the Exiles by Melina Marchetta
2015 Release: A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab
2016 Release: Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton & My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows

To see all of my favorite reads from 2015, check out this post.

2. Book that you were most excited about and that you would love more but didn't?
P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han- I was expecting to love this book, but Lara Jean's voice annoyed me, I was very unhappy with how it ended, and it frustrated me beyond compare. Much disappoint.

3a. Most surprising (in a good way) book you read in 2015?
Wink Poppy Midnight by April Genevieve Tucholke- I tend to avoid Tucholke's writing because horror isn't for me, so getting over this preconceived notion was a little hard for me. But when I found out her next book would be magical realism, I almost didn't pick it up because my track record with the genre is severely lacking. I am thankful that this book proved me wrong!

3b. Most surprising (in a bad way) book you read in 2015?
This, unfortunately, goes to Walk On Earth A Stranger by Rae Carson. I wanted to love this book so badly, and I just didn't. I was so disappointed in it and it made me lose a tiny bit of faith in a favorite author. I am hoping book two progresses at a quicker rate and will hold my attention better. You can see my full review here.

4. Book you "pushed" the most people to read?
I've already talked up My Lady Jane by Jodi Meadows, Brodi Ashton, and Cynthia Hand to a million people and it doesn't even come out until May.

5. Best series you started in 2015? Best sequel of 2015? Best series ender of 2015?
Best series started in 2015: A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab & The Imposter Queen by Sarah Fine
Best full series read in 2015: The Lumatere Chronicles by Melina Marchetta
Best sequel of 2015: The Heart of Betrayal by Mary E. Pearson
Best series ender of 2015: Winter by Marissa Meyer

6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2015?
Veronica Rossi! I have no idea why I have been so hesitant to read her stuff, but I severely regret that now. Also, shout out to Alwyn Hamilton who is the fave 2016 debut author I discovered in 2015! Her book knocked my socks off.

7. Best book from a genre you don't typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
This Is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp was really hard for me because it is ridiculously violent. I mean...it watches a school shooting as it unfolds. It was way out of my comfort zone, but also something that needed to be written with the current problems plaguing this country.

8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
2015 Release: A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab
2016 Release: Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton

9. Book you read in 2015 that you are most likely to re-read next year?
I started to read Passenger by Alexandra Bracken and got about 200 pages in before I chose to DNF it. I had a BEA bound manuscript of the book that was still in dire need of being edited and as I began to read it, it obviously showed. I chose to set the book aside to read the finished copy upon its release in 2016. However, since I'll be in London, that won't be until the summer. But hey, it counts for this section since I'll be attempting to re-read it!
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2015?
The cover of Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon still makes me smile every time I see it. So simple yet so complex, and so pleasing to the eye. I love it!

11. Most memorable character of 2015?
Every character in A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab! It has been months since I read this book, and I still cannot get Kell, Lila, and Rhys out of my head. Such amazing characterization in a super complicated world!

12. Most beautifully written book of 2015?
I didn't read enough books to have a specifically beautifully written book stand out to me, but the way that Wink Poppy Midnight was written really stood out to me because it was so unique in its writing style and storytelling. I felt like I stepped right into a fairytale even though it is really just a contemporary with the traces of magical realism.

13. Most thought-provoking/life-changing book of 2015?
Written In The Stars by Aisha Saeed was ridiculously thought-provoking. This book is so many people's reality and it needed to be written.

14. Book you can't believe you waited until 2015 to finally read?
Why did I wait so long to read The Lumatere Chronicles by Melina Marchetta?! The hype is so deserved with this one!

15. Favorite Passage/Quote from a book you read in 2015?
"She is more gunpowder than girl." - Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton. This description sticks with me so much, and I love it.

16. Shortest and longest book you read in 2015?
Shortest: The Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare - 92 pages
Longest: Winter by Marissa Meyer - 824 pages

17. Book that shocked you the most?
Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas had twists and turns at every single page. A lot of craziness ensued and it shocked me endlessly. I am very excited to read the next book in this crazy series!

18. OTP of the year? I will go down with this ship!
Rowan and Aelin from Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas really hard. They're just so perfect! I also ship a certain pirate and traveler in ADSOM, but not every question can be answered with ADSOM!

19. Favorite non-romantic relationship of the year.
My last book of 2015 was Truthwitch by Susan Dennard and I absolutely loved the friendship between Safi and Iseult in this one. So beautifully written with all of the girl power!

20. Favorite book you read in 2015 from an author you read previously?
This is so hard! It is a tie between A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab and Froi of the Exiles by Melina Marchetta. Both these women wow me endlessly and somehow find ways to make me fall in love with them even more.

21. Best book you read in 2015 based solely off of the recommendation of someone else/peer pressure?
I would not have picked the Under The Never Sky trilogy by Veronica Rossi as part of my Summer of Series if Alexa and Rachel didn't kindly pressure me into it while we were waiting for an event to start one day in Books of Wonder. Thanks for looking out for me, ladies!

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2015?
I am kind of obsessed with Oskar from The Imposter Queen by Sarah Fine. This book releases in 2 days and oh man, Oskar is just so kind. He is this huge bear that is actually a teddy bear and I adore him. He just wants to live a normal life, protect his family, and love who he wants to love, and it just so happens he has these really awesome powers.

23. Best 2015 debut you read?
This honor goes to my very first book of 2015: The Sin Eater's Daughter by Melinda Salisbury. I fell in cover love and the wow-worthiness only continued from there!

24. Best worldbuilding/most vivid setting you read this year?
This would have to go to A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab. I mean...this book has FOUR LONDONS THAT ALL SEEM TO TAKE PLACE IN A DIFFERENT PART OF HISTORY! And there's different kinds of magic, and amazing people, and just so much interesting stuff! I love this world even though it's a pretty scary place. 

25. Book that put a smile on your face/was the most FUN to read?
My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Jodi Meadows, and Brodi Ashton has me literally laughing out loud. I know it doesn't come out until May, but everyone needs this book in their life! It is a comical historical fiction in an alternate fantastical universe and it is just so fun, engaging, and hilarious!

26. Book that made you cry or nearly cry in 2015?
There was a few moments in Winter by Marissa Meyer that had me holding my breath out of fear. I wanted to cry tears of joy when it was done because I was just so content as a reader.

27. Hidden gem of the year?
Play On by Michelle Smith was a very well done swoony romance, a little bit of sports, and a lot of attention paid to tough subjects. It's flown relatively under the radar and a lot of people are missing out because of that!

28. Book that crushed your soul?
This Is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp crushed my soul really bad...really dang bad.

29. Most unique book you read in 2015?
Fairest by Marissa Meyer was pretty unique in its darkness. It made me not only understand the mind of a supervillain, but it scared me because of how psychologically imbalanced this person is. So dark, so terrifying...so well done!

30. Book that made you the most mad?
Hello, Goodbye and Everything in Between by Jennifer E. Smith made me really mad. This main character was ridiculously frustrating and you just wanted to shake her because she complicates her own life and makes it really dang terrible because she just can't do herself any good. I get angry just thinking about her. I would recommend reading my review because I am much more straightforward there.

Your Blogging/Bookish Life

1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2015?
Nick and Nereyda's Infinite Booklist is a new blog in 2015 and I really love what these two ladies have done by teaming up together!

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2015?
I really liked writing my review for A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab just because I loved this book so hard!

3. Best discusison/non-review post that you had on your blog?
I really enjoyed having Victoria Schwab for an interview on my blog as part of Summer of Series! It was my second most popular post of the year!

4. Best event that you participated in?
BEA 2015 was the best bookish event I have ever experienced, mostly because I had some kickass roommates in Paige and Bekka.

5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2015?
My best moment of my bookish life was the moment I found out I was accepted for an internship at Penguin. I was so sick and the call knocked the sick right out of me! I got up and jumped around screaming in excitement upon hanging up the phone. Dream achievement unlocked!

6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?
The most challenging thing about my blogging and reading life this year was just finding the time to do it! In 2015 I had 3 internships (Bloomsbury, Oxford, Penguin), 2 on campus jobs that equated to over 400 hours worked, a social life, friends, and 39 credits worth of schooling. Crazy, right? I have no idea how this blog has stayed alive!

7. Most popular post this year on your blog? Whether it be by comments or views?
My most popular post by both comments and views (over 4,000 views guys!) is my Intern Diaries post discussing The Perfect Request Email! I had a lot of fun putting this together and I am happy you guys enjoyed it!

8. Post you wished got a little more love?
I met a really big deal New York Times book reviewer who had a lot to say about the future of YA in the newspapers and it got a ton of reviews but no comments. I wish it got more love!

9. Best bookish discovery?
I really love Evie's Society 6 store!

10. Did you complete reading challenges or goals that you set for yourself at the beginning of the year?
I completed all reading challenges (including my Goodreads goal) except for one! You can check that out at this link here!

Looking Ahead

1. One book that you didn't get to in 2015 but will be your #1 priority in 2016?
Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo is a book I hugely regret not being able to read yet! I need to read it, like, ASAP!

2. 2016 debut that you are most anticipating?
THIS IS SO HARD! I am just going to direct you to my top ten fantasy's of 2016 post because I want to read them all so badly.

3. Series ender/sequel that you are most anticipating in 2016?
A Gathering of Shadows by V.E. Schwab obviously!

4. One thing you hope to accomplish or do in your reading/blogging life in 2016?
I hope to use my blog as a travel journal because I do not want to forget any of my European adventures!

5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2015?
Like the above answer, the question is my internships! I proved so much to myself at Bloomsbury, Oxford, and Penguin, and I can't wait to see what my future holds!

6. A 2016 release that you've already read and recommend to everyone?
This is a tie between Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton and My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Jodi Meadows, and Brodi Ashton. Both are so so so good and 100% deserving of perfect 5 star ratings!

Thank you for taking the time to read this entire post! Boy, was it long! Did you make your own 2015 end of the year book survey? If so, link it below so I can check it out!

3 comments:

  1. Shakespeare! I want to read all of his plays again sometime.

    Oh gosh, I'm sad to hear that about PSISLY, I was really excited to read that book, despite not caring much for the first, but I still haven't gotten to it yet.

    My Lady Jane sounds really interesting! I like the kingdom aspect.

    I read This Is Where It Ends too! I liked it a lot but it was really dark, of course.

    Everything Everything has such a gorgeous cover!

    I want to read Written In The Stars this year, I've had it for a while, but haven't gotten around to it yet. :(

    I'm really looking forward to reading A Darker Shade of Magic.

    Oh no! I'm really sad to hear that about Hello Goodbye and Everything In Between, I've only read The Statistical Probability of Love At First Sight by Jennifer, but I really liked it. Maybe I'll like it more? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. This survey takes so much time to do every year, I feel we should all be awarded a medal for completing it. Rebel of the Sands was one of my top reads this year too, it was so unbelievably good. I really can't wait for the next book in the series, which is a long time to wait seeing as the first book isn't even officially out yet!!! I'm glad I wasn't the only one who felt disappointed by PS I Still Love You, it wasn't what I was expecting.

    Great answers! I hope you have a great reading year in 2016! :) Here's my survey if you want to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you best be reading Six of Crows ASAP. I loved that book something fierce!
    So happy to see Lumatere love <3, and I can't wait to read My Lady Jane and Rebel of the Sands.

    ReplyDelete