Review: Frigid by J. Lynn

Series: Frigid #1
Publication Date: July 30, 2013
Publisher: Spencer Hill Contemporary
Reading Level: New Adult, 18+
Pages: 260 (ARC)
Source: BEA 2013
For twenty-one-year-old Sydney, being in love with Kyler isn't anything new. They'd been best friends ever since he pushed her down on the playground and she made him eat a mud pie. Somewhere over the years, she fell for him and fell hard. The big problem with that? Kyler puts the 'man' in man-whore. He's never stayed with a girl longer than a few nights, and with it being their last year in college, Syd doesn't want to risk their friendship by declaring her love.

Kyler has always put Syd on a pedestal that was too high for him to reach. To him, she's perfect and she's everything. But the feelings he has for her, he's always hidden away or focused on any other female. After all, Kyler will always be the poor boy from the wrong side of tracks, and Syd will always be the one girl he can never have.

But when they're stranded together at a posh ski resort due to a massive Nor'easter, there's nothing stopping their red-hot feelings for each other from coming to the surface. Can their friendship survive the attraction? Better yet, can they survive at all? Because as the snow falls, someone is stalking them, and this ski trip may be a life-changer in more ways than one.
~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

This is going to be a rather quick review for me because this book left me speechless.

I was really excited for this book because of my immense love of both the new adult genre and the amazing Jenifer L. Armentrout. But I was slightly worried going into this one. One of the last books I read from JLA didn't wow me to the same degree that she normally does, so I was worried that my love affair would be over. And, in all honesty, I think Kyler is a really stupid guys name and my younger sister is named Sydney, so I was beyond worried I couldn't get over the awkwardness and distaste of the main character's names. But, hey, I was able to do just that and instead entered a story that I absolutely adored in every way possible.

I was worried that this would be a cliche "two best friends turned lover stories" and while that is the overall premises of the book, there was a lot of unique twists thrown in. Frankly, one of the things I found to be most interesting was the horror scenarios that occurred during the snowstorm at Kyler's posh ski resort house. It added some interesting story and emphasized how finding solace in each other's arms was almost a necessity. I mean, buckshots breaking windows, someone cutting off the generator, sounds like someone's messing with them. And it allowed this story to take on a slight mysterious air as opposed to simply a love story. Admittedly, it was beyond obvious to me who was behind everything and I was rolling my eyes from Sydney and Kyler's shock, but I thought it added to the story nonetheless.

I also thought there was a huge air of realism in regards to the emotions and the progress of the story because they were often tripping over their words. It was one of those cases where you know exactly what you want to say, but you can't put it into proper words which, in turn, causes a lot of problems and misunderstandings. While this may bother some, I thought it was realistic because that problem's practically the story of my life. It showed just how badly they wanted each other, but didn't know how to show it. I mean, we're talking about a guy who used to sleep with nearly anything that has two legs and a girl whose only sexual experience was losing her virginity--they're on two completely different playing fields and while there's somehow a world between them sexually, they couldn't be anymore on the same page about each other.

A fast and quick read, JLA delivers her signature steaminess and ability to make anyone enjoy a story. I've fallen in love with her characters yet again. And, according to Goodreads, there will be a second book. She's got me even more curious than I ever was before. A definite recommendation to romance nuts that are members of a mature audience. Keep in mind, there's an emotional journey to them getting together which I believe strengthens their bond. This is not a book for those who are just looking for some sexy times, and that's what made me enjoy it even more. It's realistic and at times, awkward. It's the way a new adult should be to us new-adult-age readers.


5 stars

~*~Links~*~

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know that it had elements of horror in it! That makes it sound even more fun! Great review girly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really looking forward to this one! Great review!

    ReplyDelete