Review: Cinder

Author: Marissa Meyer
Series: Lunar Chronicles #1
Publication Date: January 3, 2012
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Reading Level: Young Adult
Pages: 387 (Hardcover)
Source: Bought
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl....

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.
~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

Holy cow, why did I wait so long to read this?! That is the only thought running through my mind now that I have finished this amazing retelling. Cinderella being my favorite Disney princess, I was slightly skeptical going into this one. When I first heard of it, I was worried that it had to the power totally ruin my favorite princess. However, after I saw amazing review after amazing review surface, I knew that I had to give this one a shot. While Cinderella will always be my number one, Cinder is now a very close number two (tied with Rapunzel from TANGLED).

An amazing dystopian tale, this world is caught up with an impending war between those who live on Earth and those who live on the moon in a country referred to as Lunar. To take over Earth, the evil Queen has decided to marry Prince Kai, new emperor of the Commonwealth (which is pretty much Asia since the capital is New Beijing). And somehow, caught between it all, is a teenage cyborg named Cinder who is the most renowned mechanic in all of New Beijing.

I'm going to make this review quick simply because I could gush about this tale for far too long. The characterization in this novel is superb. Cinder is an amazing heroine. Though slightly naive, she is respectable and easy to relate to. Her cyborg mechanisms are fascinating and I experienced tumultuous emotions alongside her as she slowly uncovered secrets about her past, the present, and her future. I also really enjoyed Prince Kai's characterization. He is determined to do what's right for the millions of people that look to him for guidance, but he can't help the fact that he is still young and yearning to experience love. With heroes with true hearts of golds to vile villains with an insatiable thirst for world domination, the characterization is spot on.

Though the plot is somewhat predictable because we all know the tale of Cinderella, I was still thrown by many plot twists. They had me skimming at a lightning speed to see what would happen next. And that ending! Though I have a feeling a fairytale will occur somewhere later in the Lunar Chronicles, I need SCARLET now to stop my now insatiable hunger for Meyer's writing. This is a must read for those who still cling to their childhoods like myself, but any dystopian lover, sci-fi lover, and fantasy lover can easily find themselves pleased with this one. Meyer is a forced to be reckoned with in the world of young adult literature that has me eagerly awaiting anything else she has in store for us.


5 stars

~*~Links~*~

8 comments:

  1. I have this one on my shelf and haven't read it yet! Sounds like it need to make it my next read so I can be all caught up for Scarlet. I don't know why I've waiting reading it when all I see are gushing reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo hoo! So glad you loved this one. My review started with the exact same question. I loved Cinder and Kai but I especially loved the unique setting for this retelling. I hope you love Scarlet just as much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I'm so happy you liked it! I STILL haven't read it, but Cinderella is my favorite princess, so it sounds like I have to read this one asap! Great review :)

    -Jessica (Peace Love Books)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great book! You're lucky, you read Cinder right before Scarlett's release. Those who read it a while ago have been dying for a while :P In fact I might need to reread... Sierra
    Keep growing beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your review is so exciting. I been wanting to read this book and with second one on the way, I hope I get to soon <3 heard a lot of awesome things about the people who read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds awesome. I too have been putting off reading because there are so many others on my list, but I need to bump it up.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. I waited too long to read this as well! I kept avoiding it and avoiding it because fairytale retellings make me nervous, but it was surprisingly awesome. I loved Cinder as a character, and the world-building was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have this one, I just really need to finish it!

    ReplyDelete